Painting a furniture is not only the best way to revive old favorites – it’s both fun and easy!
The easiest way to refurbish a shelf, chair or chest of drawers is to paint. Changing the color of a furniture is no very difficult, but if you have never tried painting a furniture before, may be good with some tips. In seven simple steps, we show you how to paint a stick chair – but the principle works on all the home office furniture that is made of wood.
Sandpaper, foam rubber rolls, a tray to pour the paint in, a brush unless the roller comes in everywhere, water-based paint, masking tape to avoid color anywhere and a paint canvas or newspaper to underneath.
- Start by sanding the surface of the furniture. Eliminate unevenness and fill in deeper hack or scratch with filler. If the furniture is unpainted late before, it is good to base with a staple so that the color can be attached properly. But, if the surface is painted late before, it works well without primer.
- If you want, you can tuck a piece of the happy pack over the tray before pouring the paint. It makes it easy to change color, you do not have to wash clean afterward and get it over color, and you can easily put it back in the can.
- I usually use foam rubber rolls when painting paintings. It gets a smoother surface, it does not flow and you save time. If you are looking for the brushed surface, you can still roll the first 2 layers and iron with the brush the last. Do not take too much color in the roller, then there may be lines without rolling in thin layers. Try to think systematically so that you do not miss any part of the furniture. It’s easy to see where you miss the first time but more difficult when the new layer is in the same color.
few steps more on painting a furniture
- You get more than you think of a role because it’s soft and conforms to the surface. However, it may be difficult to reach the furthest in straight angles, and then it may be good to have a smaller brush to fill in.
- After the first ironing, it is not enough that the color looks even, the end result will be fine anyway. Be sure to look at the furniture from different angles so you have not missed ironing somewhere before starting the next round.
- To avoid washing the roll between the strings, simply fold over the plastic that you used in the tray so that the moisture does not disappear. Stretch the furniture at least 2 times but preferably 3. Water-based colors will dry quickly and if the furniture is slightly larger, the paint has often dried so that you can start with the next layer immediately after you finish the previous.
- Wait a day to allow the paint to dry properly and then start using!
GENERAL MISTAKES WHEN PAINTING
There is no shortage of tips and advice on how to paint their furniture as we follow in any other home improvement projects. But many are not complete, nor do they make mistakes that are easy for beginners. Mistakes that may make the result not as good and worse. Therefore, we have compiled a list of all the errors that most beginners do!
1. Remove residues
Wipe the surface with a padded rack to remove any residue before painting. Do not use paper towels that they can smell off.
If you are on the ground, there are different primers depending on whether it is a laminated furniture or not. Ask in color trade. Use a small foam rubber roller and then a foam rubber brush for the hard-to-reach places. Once the primer has dried completely, remove any “droplets” with a grinding block, and finish wiping off with a brush stroke.
Use a small roller in foam rubber and apply three thin layers of semi-gloss latex paint. Allow it to dry between six and eight hours between the strokes. Grind (use grinding block) between times if you have irregularities. Important that you wipe off with a new cloth, you must remove every little lint and dust before the next step.
5. Surface treatment
The final step is to protect the paint with surface treatment. Use a new foam rubber roller to apply a thin layer of acrylate-based wood coat. Carefully wipe the roller to smooth out any bubbles that may occur. Then allow drying for 72 hours.